Overview of the cemetery
The Godfrey Cemetery is the resting site for William and Joseph Godfrey, two brothers who fought in the Civil War for the Confederacy. Both brothers enslisted in 1862 and survived the war, but both sustained injuries. The cemetery is found in Prince William County, Manassas. It is located on the Micron Technology Inc. property off of Route 28. IBM bought the land that the old Godfrey estate was on from one of the descendants on the one condition that IMB maintain the cemetery. When Micron moved in, they honored that condition as well.
The cemetery has a wooden fence enclosing it, with the entire cemetery being ~40ft x ~75ft. The main headstone of the Godfrey brothers sits in the near center of the cemetery. Two small headstones sit on either side of the main headstone. The small headstones have either "W.C." or "J.C." inscribed on them. A few feet in front of the main headstone lays a cross with the letters "C.S.A." written on it. This cross is the Southern Cross of Honor. It was put there after the Godfrey brothers passed by the United Daughters of the Confederacy. This organization is the only one allowed to award the Southern Cross of Honor.
The condition that the Godfrey cemetery is in is pretty remarkable when compared to the other family cemeteries in the area. The main headstone doesn't have any cracks, although the names of the Godfrey brothers are fading. The grass is mowed and there isn't any sign of overgrowth. There is one large tree a few feet behind the main headstone. Off to the side there is a large patch of dirt with a few stones strewn about, marking the resting place of the Godfrey's slaves. The Godfrey's owned around twenty slaves. The only part of the cemetery that isn't in great shape is the small W.C. headstone, which has a large crack running horizontally along the middle.