Browse Exhibits (35 total)
The Chichester family cemetery is located on Newington Road in Newington, VA.
This is the family cemetery labeled the Parker Family Cemetery even though it primarely consists of different family names. Located on the west side of Hope Park Rd., 2/3 of a mile south of Braddock Rd. Fairfax, Va.
This cemetery contains 18 formal gravemarkers, several temporary funeral home markers, and at least 10 unmarked burials. Fieldstones mark some graves.
This Family Cemetery is somewhat secluded down a dirt/gravel road on a small hill. it is a large field but the cemetery only takes up a 1/4 of the land.
Chestnut Grove Cemetery is located on Dranesville Road in Herndon, VA. It has burials over it's 23 ares, including both old and recent. The Presgraves family is just one of the many buried in Chestnut Grove. They were a family of farmers who lived in the Broad Run District of Loudoun County. The Presgraves were members of Cameron Parish in Loudoun. The family is buried in the middle of Chesnut Grove Cemetery. This is their second, and final, burial location. They were moved to accomodate the construction of Washington Dulles International Airport and reinterred at Chestnut Grove.
This cemetery is located in Centreville Virginia on Naylor road. Located on a large tract of land is over 100 gravestones that include four major families, the Scotts, the Naylors, the Robinsons, and the Harris family. The family I focused on was the Harris family, an African American family of farmers from Centreville and Manasses Virginia. Jesse Harris, a freed slave in 1814, acquired farmland along the Centreville/Manassas area in Virginia. His son Obed and his grandson Anthony Harris eventually bought out land nearby to their father. The farmland was occupied by Union soldiers according to a war claim made in 1872, and Stonewall Jackson had a hand in destroying some of the family calves and taking hay from the farm. The reason the Harris family is important is that they were able to prosper and become farmers in America during the pre-Civil War days, a feat that was nearly impossible for colored people.
This exhibit explores the Willcoxon-Farr Family Cemetery in Fairfax, Virginia as well as some of the history of their property exchanges in Fairfax County from 1805-1866. The Willcoxons were a distinguished family of Fairfax county. Josiah Willcoxon was a prominent member of the community, and with his son Rezen he built the original home of the Blenheim Estate which eventually burned down but was rebuilt by Rezen's son Albert. The Blenheim main house was occupied by Union soldiers and was used as a hospital during the Civil War. After the Civil War the estate fell into disuse and was sold off piecemeal to sharecroppers.
The Willcoxon/Farr families are two that are very important to the history of Fairfax. This exhibit will discuss the family members buried at the cemetery and their significance.
Located next to Centreville Rd in Herndon,VA, the Frying Pan Meeting House was established on May 15th, 1791. There are 48 burials in the Cemetery, with only 16 surviving headstones. As of 1988 the house and grounds of the Frying Pan Cemetery are under the care of the Fairfax County Park Authority.
The Compton Family Cemetery is located on Henderson Road in Clifton Virginia. There are 10 members of the Compton Family buried in this cemetery, which is located next to what used to be the Compton House. The Cemetery is surrounded by a wrought iron fence, and is well maintained. The Compton Family resided in the area from 1876 until 1958 and made a living from farming.
In 1887, construction of a small chapel was begun. St. Paul's Chapel was consecrated by Bishop White in 1889. St. Paul's mission was formally connected with the Episcopal Falls Church until 1905, when it was remitted back to the Seminary. St. Paul's continued under the jurisdiction of the Virginia Theological Seminary for the next four decades.
In 1950, St. Paul's was admitted as a Mission Church. A new location was secured between Church and Payne Streets (St. Paul's current location). Bishop Gibson dedicated the church in 1954 and the congregation moved in in 1955.